Monday, March 7, 2011

Pain... Childbirth... and the Bible

Over the weekend I attended a meeting with my grandmother with a group she and I belong to. This month's topic was Life of Women in the Bible. I was super excited for this presentation given by a local minister because it is something I am deeply interested in. On my quest for a deeper understanding of the Bible and my personal journey of faith, I was looking forward to learning more about some of the amazing women. Of course, the presentation started with Eve-mother of all really. And while I am still not sure exactly how my views of creation are forming (it seems to be a lump of clay that is constantly shifting... interesting pun perhaps?), I did enjoy very much what this minister had to say on the topic of Eve.

One of the things we discussed was the misconception that women have been punished by sin to have painful labors. I say misconception because God never actually said to Eve that she would be punished because of her sin. In fact, he cursed the ground, not Eve! And the term sin did not even appear in the Bible until Cain and Abel. So lets empower women by breaking down the stereotype that women cause "The Fall." 

I've found another blog that mentions this very topic. You can read that post here.   I plan to do more research on birth practices, religion, and rights of passage for empowering women.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... It's been a while since a came across such an accurate and relevant post. Excellent post from a genius.

    ReplyDelete